Thursday, March 27, 2014
Fireplace Update - Part 1
After weeks (months?) of talking about it, we finally took naptime by the horns and started our fireplace makeover. This might have been one of the few projects we went out for the supplies in the morning and somewhat completed in the same day.
We love our (gas) fireplace, but there has always been something off to me. I think its the proportion of where the mantle falls and the actual thickness of the mantle itself, so that makeover will be Part 2... I just can't promise when it'll happen.
So we decided to paint the fireplace. We didn't want to full out paint it white, or another color, so we took the halfway ease into approach and whitewashed it. This way we still retained a bit of the brick character without the out of place brick color.
We followed YoungHouseLove's whitewash tutorial and used 50% water and 50% paint. We also used Valspar Exterior Paint in a flat finish in Bistro White.
First, we removed the fireplace insert. Which we have to thank my Father in Law for asking how it was attached, because we probably would have just painted around it, not even realizing how simple it was to remove. The previous owner's must not have realized how easy it is to remove because it was FILTHY behind it. We made a mental note to clean behind it every few years. (The house is 21 years old).
So after we gave all the bricks a nice wipe down with a wet rag and vacuumed up the remaining dust, we got to work.
We painted the brick and followed with a dry rag catching drips (the paint mixture is runny since it's 50% water) and rubbing the paint in. Turns out our brick isn's as porous as old school traditional red brick. Ours is (was) a more muted red and seemed to be a bit more similar to paver stones in texture. So it was slightly more opaque than we expected.
We have since put the insert back on and are looking into our mantle options. I would like to have a reclaimed wood mantle with at least 6" width to help balance the space between the insert and the mantle. Also to give it more character and jive with the whitewash look. I've also suggested to the husband that now we need to repaint the room to make the fireplace "pop" a bit more. I received a nice eye roll to that request.
And because who doesn't love a good before and after, here is the family room shot from the house's listing and what it looked like a year ago, without the teal paint. Slowly this room is coming together.... slowly.
Hopefully I'll be writing Part 2 soon!